I’ve had several friends ask me for my Chocolate Chip Maple Pecan Pie recipe…so here it is (to the best of my recollection!)
I got started making pecan pies from a recipe by Mary Fillmore that you can find here:
But, as Emeril would say, I wanted to ‘kick it up a few notches’
The trick with Pecan Pie is that you really don’t want to make it overwhelmingly sweet. Substituting corn syrup with maple syrup helps in this regard. I also like my pie to be a little more gooey, so I dropped one of the eggs from Mary’s recipe. I also added Bourbon because someone gave me bourbon once as a Christmas present and, lets face it, Bourbon only tastes good when combined with…pie.
Now I just need to make one hundred more pies to finally kill that bottle.
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup melted butter + 1tbsp
- 1 tbsp bourbon
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1.5 tsp. vanilla
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 cups pecan halves
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I used Ghiradelli)
- 1 store bought frozen pie crust (because, at the end of the day, I want my pie…FAST!)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Brush pecans with 1tbsp melted butter and lightly toast in toaster oven
- Let pecans cool
- Combine all ingredients, except for pecans and chocolate chips in a large bowl, stir well
- Add the pecans and chocolate chips to the bowl. Stir.
- Dump the mixture into the frozen pie shell
- Bake until done (approx 1 hr, or until pie is set)
- Let sit for one hour
- Eat warm, with vanilla ice cream
- Wait 30 minutes, run on treadmill for three hours, minimum.