Here’s what you’re missing:
- People from every continent except Antartica in 36 different countries
- 30%+ increase in attendance from last year
- 70+ Session Hours (40% increase from prior SenchaCon)
- 27 Guest Speakers, 10 Sponsors
- 4 Precon bootcamps, 20+ hours
- Unconference, 2 hours X 25 slots
- SenchaCon Party @ Universal Islands of Adventure
- Friday Hackathon, $2500 top prize (sadly I need to get back home and will not be participating)
Part 1: “Developers are the new Kingmakers” (speaker from RedMonk)
Part 2: Sencha CEO Michael (‘da Man) Mullaney
- All devices are turning into application platforms
- By 2017, one out of three people on the planet will purchase a computing device
- 90% of employees pay for their smartphone. 92% use it for work every week. 62% use it for work every day.
- HTML5 is the highest common demoninator
- # of HTM5 features has DOUBLED over the past 2 years
- Blending & Compositing
- Regions and Exclusions
- SVG2 with Mesh Gradients
- CSS4: Backgrounds & Borders
- Ecmascript 6
- Web Animations
- Page Visibility
- Custom Filters
- Enabling Customer Success
- Virtual Training
- Developer Certification (includes proctoring, live coding)
- Support Enhancements
- Amsterdam & Maryland Offices
- Services Partnerships slide included the Fig Leaf Software logo – NICE!
- Guest Speaker from Roche/Genentech discussing their mobile initiatives – iPad is now the primary platform for their employee base. Standardized on Sencha. Customizing Sencha Command.
- Salesforce.com partnership: Announcing Salesforce Mobile Pack for Sencha Touch. Available on market.sencha.com, makes it easier to build salesforce.com apps.
- Tizen OS: 4M App contest launched (time to recompile Sencha’s Raiders!)
- Windows Azure: Sencha Touch Extensions for Windows Azure Mobile. Sencha Touch + Windows Azure mobile services (push, storage, etc)
Part 3: Blackberry 10
- Industry leading HTML5 compliance and performance
- Over 120K apps in Blackberry World
- Over 50K apps added since BB10 launch
Part 4: What’s coming in Sencha Architect (Aaron “The Architect” Conran)
- Demoing Architect 3!
- Lots of effort put in to make app building even easier for novices
- 20 Application Templates for Ext JS and Sencha Touch!
- Added support for styling your app – UI for changing SASS variables directly. SASS compilation occurs immediately after saving SASS property with the design view auto-refreshing. Designers can now tweak themes visually by using Architect.
- Developers can now create & add user extensions to Architect (hooray!)
- Availability: Shipping preview TODAY from SenchaCon 2013 resources today!
Part 5: Sencha Frameworks
- Guest speaker: VP of app development for Smile Brands (Ext JS and Sencha Touch-based interactive dental chart for desktop and mobile)
- IE 8 has 10% of the HTML5 features as the BB10 mobile browser
- IE 10 runs 20X faster than IE 8 (SunSpider performance)
Part 6: What’s coming in Ext JS 4 (Don “The Ext JS God” Griffin)
- Goals: Business & Data Rish Apps, Scalable Maintainable Code, Backward Compatibilty
- GRID GADGETS – easily insert components into grid cells (sparkline chart embedded in grid column cells)
- Code for gadgets is similar to components, but leaner
- Demo of localization to Hebrew (including RTL support)
- Adding Touch support to Ext JS with Touch-optimized theme! Includes momentum scrolling!
- Ext JS and Touch now pull from common core!
Part 7: What’s coming in Sencha Touch (Jamie “Awesomeness” Alvins)
- Discusses changes to the MVC framework that will affect Touch and Ext JS
- DECLARATIVE, XML-BASED VIEWS that compile into JS code (looks a little like Appcelerator’s Alloy framework)
- Touch 2.3 Beta coming out today w/2 new themes, enhanced support for BB, tizen support, direct support for Cordova
- Awesome new Touch GRID control, beta shipping TODAY!
- Rep from Morgan Stanley discussing how they’ve used Sencha technologies over the last several years
Part 8: NEW PRODUCT LAUNCH (Abe “Ext-Man” Elias) – SENCHA SPACE
Sencha Space is a mobile app, from where secure “plugin” apps can be launched and an enterprise admin console.
- Optimizing HTML5 for business
- Web Intents
- Secure Data Storage
- Network Cache
- Secure Identity
- Per App VPNs
- Encrypted apps
- Jacky Nguyen (demoing)
- New, innovative set of APIs
- Invoke API – to launch apps and transfer data between apps (even in the background)
- Contacts app communicates with Chat app and Task in VERY cool, deep ways. Nice, seamless, multi-app communication
- Admin console to restrict access to apps (kinda reminds me a little of TestFlight)
- Check it out at http://www.sencha.com/space
- Developer preview released today!